Tuesday, July 8, 2008

A Finnish Favorite

The boys and I went to a birthday party last week. As one of the activities they had a pinata and inside the pinata among the candies were the ever famous warheads. Just thinking of those candies make my mouth water. They weren't a favorite of the boys so we saved them and took them home to Josh. Little did I know what crazy door I was opening.

Apparently the sour Warheads have a Finnish counterpart, Turkish Peppers, that Josh fell in love with on his mission and hadn't had since he got home in 2000. My bringing home the warheads spurred an extensive internet search for a store that sold Turkish Peppers. Josh was very excited when he found a store that had both the Turkish Peppers and his much loved Fazer chocolate. He ordered gobs of both and anxiously waited.

Well, today Josh's package arrived all the way from Sweeden. Josh excitedly opened the Turkish Peppers and insisted that we all try them. I didn't really know what I was getting myself into. I found a description of Turkish Peppers on Wiki :

"Turkish Pepper or Tyrkisk Peber (Turkinpippuri) is a strong liquorice candy flavored with ammonium chloride (salmiakki), made by the Finnish company Fazer and popular in the country. "

Essentially it is a salty, black licorice flavered hard candy that gradually gets spicer and spicer as you get to the middle. Honesly, I didn't make it all the way to the middle before I popped it out of my mouth. Poor Sam made it and cough/gagged when he did. Let's just say it is an experience.


I don't think Josh will have much competition for his Finnish candy, well at least the Turkish Peppers. I'm just waiting until he breaks out the chocolate. I'm all over that!

No comments: