Friday, July 4, 2008

Family History Friday: Freedom Fighters

With today being the Fourth of July and the day we celebrate the birth of the United States of America, I was thinking that it would be a good day to commemorate some of my ancestors that served in various wars to preserve the freedoms we enjoy. My grandma has told me on multiple occassions, and is very proud of the fact, that we have ancestors who have served in many of the major American Wars from WWII back.

  • Joshua Bigelow fought in the King Phillips War 1675

  • Redmond Condon, Richard Corwine, and John Day served in the Revolutionary War

  • Samuel Corwine was in the War of 1812

  • Daniel T. Short served during the Civil War on the side of the North

  • John C Bigelow Sr served in WWI (pictured below)

  • Robert N Daniels served in WWII along with my great uncle, John C Bigelow Jr.
I would have sworn I had more pictures in my possession to share, but I was only able to come up with one. (One thing I am finding by doing these Family History Friday posts is that my paper work is in horrible order! You think you know where something is until you go looking for it and can't find it!)

This picture is of my great grandfather, John Chester Bigelow (pictured on the right), and his brothers Harold (on the left) and Amerson (seated). They all served in WWI in 1918.

This is the WWI draft card for John Chester Bigelow.

I am grateful for these men, and the many other men and women now and through out history, who have made sacrifices to serve their country and to preserve the freedoms we enjoy in the United States of America

**Most of the above list is family traditon. I have only personally verified those who served in WWI and WWII. More fun work to do!**

No comments: