Sunday, October 26, 2008

Plotting and planning

My fingers and sewing machine are aching to make a quilt. I have been shopping around the internet looking at various patterns and fabrics trying to decide what I want to make a quilt for my bed. Did you know that Ebay and Etsy (if you don't know what etsy is, check it out! It is a place where crafters can sell their handmade wares. There are a lot of amazingly talented people that sell on etsy) are great places to find fabric in addition to the hundreds of other online fabric stores. They have a lot better selection than the local fabric stores and many of the fabrics come in designer packs of 40-50+ coordinating prints making it super easy to find fabrics that match.

I have determined that I really like the fabric by designer Amy Butler. The problem now is narrowing it down, there are just so many patterns and color combinations that I like. I found a quilt (for $550) on etsy that I really like and will likely use as my inspiration. It is the "Turning Twenty" quilt pattern which I am now trying to locate. I like it because it is big enough to show off the patterns of the fabric and still feel patchworkie. I guess the pattern uses 20 fat quarters but I think I want to make mine a bit bigger. I haven't bought anything yet, but probably will in the near future. I'm very excited!

Update: I was drooling again on the Amy Butler website and found a link to a whole bunch of her patterns that you can download for FREE. There are some quilt patterns, bags, scarves, etc... super "Uber" cute stuff.

1 comment:

Esther said...

Oh my gosh! I was totally itching to do a quilt too. I signed up for a quilt class teaching a specific technique at Piper's quilts. We're using Amy Bulter fabrics. LOVE HER DESIGNS too!! I'll have to post a pic on my blog when it's finished. Actually, you can go to their web blog and see a pic of what the quilt is going to look like. I'll put a link on my blog. Let me know how yours goes! I'm way excited to hear about it!
p.s This is Josh's cousin Esther.