Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Growing a Donation

I have decided to continue to grow out my hair and then chop it this summer and donate it. I've always heard about organizations that take the donated hair and make wigs for those who are in need because of cancer or other illnesses. I've never really had the guts to go really short with my hair (something I felt would be required in order to donate enough hair for their requirements). I did a little research recently though and found out that the minimum requirements aren't as stringent as I thought they were.

There are two organizations that I have found:


These organizations are different in their length requirements and in their focus for recipients.

Beautiful lengths requires a minimum of 8 inches and the wigs are made for women suffering from hair loss due to cancer. More information on their requirements and suggestions can be found here.

Locks of Love requires a minimum of 10 inches (preferably 12") and the wigs are made for children suffering from various illnesses that cause hair loss. More information on their requirements and suggestions can be found here.

So far, I am not committed to one or the other. Honestly, I think it will come down to how long my hair is by this summer. I am excited for the opprotunity to share my hair (something which I am proud of) and also a good excuss to get up the guts and try a shorter hair cut. Who knows, maybe I will really like short hair! I'll be sure to post before and after pictures.

Anyone else interested in joining the band wagon? I'm trying to convince my sister and I think I've got Christina on board too. Let me know if you decide to too!

No comments: