Wednesday, March 19, 2008

phew! we made it home!

we safely made it home Tuesday. There were a few moments that I was sure we just weren't going to make it but prayers were answered and we are all home again. our day consisted of Elijah throwing up, pouring rain, a flat tire, a dead battery, switching cars, rushing to the airport-grateful that my flight was 2 hours late, standing in two lines before I actually knew I was going to be able to get on the plane, and flying with two tired boys. phew!

Our trip to Oklahoma to visit the Reeds was a whirlwind roller coaster, full of twists and turns, ups and downs, with some throwing up along the ride. (i think i'm ready for a vacation after my vacation) unfortunately my blogging fell by the wayside and now you get a massive jumble.

Last Sunday I had the opportunity to go to the ward in Ponca City with Christina and all four boys. I'm sure we were quite a spectacle sitting in sacrament meeting of the small ward wrestling the boys to be reverent and quiet. It was a relief when we survived. I am so grateful for Josh! I haven't had the opportunity to visit many wards but it was reaffirmed to me that the Church really is the same everywhere. It is just amazing that where ever you are you can find a ward to attend, feel welcomed, hear the same gospel teachings, and feel the spirit.

The topic of religion was one that came up and was on my mind a lot during the trip. Ponca City is dotted everywhere by many different Churches. The town has a population of around 30,000 and you can't drive down any major street without passing at three or four different churches. I have a hard time just figuring out what denomination they all belong to and how they all fit together. It is just boggling to me.

Presley has decided that he wants his family to attend the First Baptist Church in Ponca City (so named because it was the first Baptist church in town, there is a Second Baptist Church in town too). Christina has been stuck in the middle and thrown back into the Baptist religion. It has been an eye opening and frustrating experience for her. (I'm convinced she needs to write a book)

The beginning of last week was rather rough. Poor Caleb got really sick with an ear infection and eventually ended up in the hospital for a night because he wasn't keeping fluids down. While all that was going on, I was lucky enough to get the 24 hour flu, complete with nausea and fever. Poor Presley was left with three boys and a store to juggle. I am very grateful no one else got sick and Caleb was able to come home sooner than predicted but the whole scenario left Christina and I wiped out.

The rest of the week Christina and I kept busy keeping the boys alive, doing family history, touring Ponca city, visiting Enid and Christina's old stomping grounds, watching some good movies (more on that to come later), and talking religion. I was also able to attend the Baptist church.

It turned out to be a whirlwind trip made crazy with four boys, three and under. By the end Christina and I were ready to run away and leave our kids with the highest bidder. I am grateful that we were able to go. It was sooo good to be able to see Christina and see where she is living and what she is up to. I miss that girl so much! We are scheming to get both of us in Utah this summer, hopefully kid free!

2 comments:

Becca said...

Eeek what a vacation!

christine said...

Sounds pretty crazy! But if you come in the summer, you could bring the kids and have built in baby sitters!