Thursday, January 24, 2008

Wives and Daughters




I amused myself this week by watching the BBC video of Elisabeth Gaskell's Wives and Daughters. Beware, it is a long one at 300 minutes, but it was a rather enjoyable movie (Josh would be shaking his head at this point, but he didn't watch it so he really doesn't know). I am now anxious to get my hands on the book. You can actually download it off the internet for free at http://books.google.com/, it's public domain apparently.

The movie is along the line of Pride and Prejudice and is a story about a girl named Molly and "her efforts to cope gracefully with an impossible stepmother, a beguiling stepsister, burdensome secrets and burgeoning romance." So, if you find yourself husbandless for a weekend, or just burnt out, grab some chocolate, a cozy blanket, and watch a satisfying movie.



Other amusing and long BBC Movies based on books:
North and South by Elizabeth Gaskel
Our Mutual Friend by Charles Dickens
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (long time favorite)

Sidenote: PBS is doing a Jane Austen marathon every Sunday night through April. They are showing the BBC movie versions of all Austen's books.

Anyone have any suggestions on other good ol' english books made into movies?

3 comments:

Susan said...

I've never heard of wives and daughters! Thanks for the info - I love those types of movies (when I'm in the mood, of course). Our Relief Society actually started a 'Jane Austen Film and Lit Society' based around the PBS adaptations of the books. In fact, there's a book/movie discussion tonight for Persuasion. So fun! I love Jane Austen!

Lisa said...

Have you seen or read the Scarlet Pimpernel? I highly recommend that one. There are two movie versions that I know of (possibly more) but my favorite is the one with Jane Seymour. It's not a BBC production but very enjoyable. I read the book after watching the movie and thoroughly enjoyed that as well.
Lisa R

Maren said...

Oh, I just love books. I just watched Pride and Prejudice (long version) the other day while Sheldon was studying. I've never seen Wives and Daughters, but I loved North and South!