Monday, February 16, 2009

The Grandson of two Engineers

Friday the boys and I watched Curious George (our favorite show that unfortunately has been stuck in a rerun rut, except for Friday -thankfully) and George was trying to make a bridge for some chicks to get across some water using toothpicks, marshmallows and playing cards. The show took George through multiple tries with each attempt building on the previous and getting better until he finally had a bridge that would support the weight of the chicks. Elijah was GLUED.

I try and get a project or activity going for Elijah to do by himself while I put Sam down for his nap. Friday he wanted to build a bridge with marshmallows. I pulled them out and he took off running. By the time Sam was down (we do some mommy-Sammy cuddle time) Elijah was well into making his bridge. With just a little reminding from me he managed to get the shape of the bridge just like Georges complete with triangle sides to support it.


In all it took him probably 1 1/2-2 hours to make his bridge, 85% by himself. We even tested it to see if it would hold up between two Tupperware containers and IT WORKED. Elijah was so pleased with himself.
Josh came home and saw the bridge and was overly impressed. What can I say, I guess it's in his genes.

And if you're wondering... Yes they did eat the bridge for dessert that night.

1 comment: