Monday, July 23, 2012

Kennecott Copper Mine

Grandma, Grandpa, Charis and her family, and all of us went to visit Kennecott Copper Mine during our visit.  I went there years ago and was excited to take my boys.  What could be better than a big whole in the ground, lots of dirt, and HUGE trucks?! 




Everyone looking out over the mine.  Pretty cute bunch of people.


Ben was mesmorized by the massive trucks.  He watched them for the longest time going up and down the road around the pit.



Lucy, Kendell, and Grandma

They have a nice little visitors center and I would reccomend the video they have there.  It was amazing to see the process they go through to get copper and other minerals out of that massive hole.  All of us were impressed.

And of course we stopped at the gift shop.  I got some beautiful copper ornaments for our Christmas tree, Sam picked out a little naural looking piece of copper, and Elijah picked out an orca mood ring.  (Ben didn't care and was very content with a bag of pretzels to eat on the way home).  All down the mountain we were hearing commentary from Elijah about his ring and how he felt, be it relaxed or active, etc.  We asked him if he was hungry and his response was "I don't know, that's not one of the options on the chart for my ring."  :)

1 comment:

Susan said...

I haven't been there since I was little - I've been wanting to take the kids each time we are in utah, but it just hasn't worked out yet. Emma got a mood ring recently- and she was so interested in how it worked. She asked me "but how does it know what mood I'm in?"